Friday, August 22, 2014

High School Fruition


I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold


This Is Just To Say
by William Carlos Williams




I guess I wonder what will stay with me from my time in high school. I graduated a little over two months ago, but it already feels like ages have past and the whole world is unfurling before me. 

I have said so long to small responsibilities and insincere friendships. Life beyond high school is exciting, but extremely frightening. I can see that when I apply for student loans and register for classes at my university. I have serious commitments now, and as determined as I am to honor them, I will never know what successes and failures lie ahead. But I have realized that while the trials and tribulations of high school might be insignificant to ones I have yet to face, I still have the same two options in which I can face them. I can allow them to break me down in sadness, worry, and despair or I can set my resolve, and refuse to let the potential risks in life take away my ability to enjoy life and love. 

Life is best lived with both a grain of salt and sugar. I will be prudent and hardworking, but I must remember that I can still have fun. I'll always remember this poem by William Carlos Williams that I read in high school. It never had  earth shattering social commentary or allegorical significance. The narrator acted and owned up to his actions, but took everything with a little bit of cheek. Humor has always been one of life's best remedies. I hope I can always remember the small things; they often help you understand the big lessons in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment