Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Boulevard






I love California. Before, I never understood why people came here on vacations. There didn't seem like much to do or see. However, as I have gotten older, I have gotten to explore my home state a little more. One of the places I used to hate going to was Los Angeles. The tedious drive was always an hour or more of bumper to bumper traffic, and being a bit delicate, I almost always got car sick. Now that I am older and I am in possession of a driver's license, things are a bit different. I get to plan where I want to go and how I get there. The Pacific Coast Highway is my route of choice if I am going south. It plays to my romantic side (romantic in conjunction with romanticism, not the idealized love version, I hate how that is the more commonly used context of the word) and makes the long drive feel less like a chore. Exploring LA is really a treat. Here innovation fuses with style to make building, museums, stores, and restaurants. For those of you who have not read my Philosophy page (located under the Home tab) that is essentially what I am all about. So this summer, I have loved going into the city. Since I am a definite sucker for novelty treats, MILK had been on my radar for quite some time. The whole aesthetic was on par with it cute name, with a hyped up line to match. I must say while everything looked good, it did not deliver for me. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. That is one thing I hate about LA, you can find a lot of experiences like this. It is disappointing to say the least, when something you hoped for wasn't what you expected. Gives me the validation that I want to build something that has it all: creativity and quality. Today, so many things have a designer price tag, and so many rush to grab them. I think in this day and age we are getting a little sloppy and a little stupid. We want what others have even though we can't afford it or we compromise our sense of self to follow a trend. Most of us use Google to find the answers to our homework instead of reading the material. We want the easy way or the quickest way to fame and fortune. For those that haven't heard, fame and fortune don't equal success. Success is a dangerous word, but one of my definitions for it is self - satisfaction. Some of my goals are create films, write articles, design clothes, but I would never dream for them to not be the best. I want the best quality film, the perfect words, and the richest materials. I want to do the work. That might sound a bit hypocritical coming from a smartphone photographer over here, but I am making do with my resources. For me there is a driving force behind what I want to do. I want to create for the people. I aim to connect and introduce new perspectives. I want to remind; remind them of when they were lonely, sad, dissatisfied, so they know not to deliver the same to anyone else. Like a chip on your shoulder. Then I want to give them something. Something that is maybe hard to achieve on their own. With words, clothes, or a helping hand I will bring strength and confidence that will help enhance one's sense of self. I want to do this in order to start celebrating the good and bad, because believe it or not sorrow can be just as beautiful as joy. I want to change the view of the beholder. Stop being sloppy friends, and help others have it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment