Monday, September 30, 2013

Processed





Alright everyone. I am documenting my somewhat healthier meal choices before baked goods season opens. I made a meal from scratch Sunday night to treat my parents to a night when they didn't have to pay an exorbitant dinner price or exert effort in making dinner.  I tried to incorporate what we already had in the house ingredients wise, but I ended up needing to buy pine nuts for my linguine (the actual pasta used is spaghetti, linguine just sounds better plus that was what was used in the recipe) with pea pesto. Pine nuts as they turn out are a pretty expensive ingredient, but they came in a nice packet with plenty more to use in the future. I suppose with me having to buy pine nuts, I could have just made a normal pesto, but I had my heart set on the pea version after having something of the same likeness on a crostini many moons ago. The dish was extremely easy to make, and I am quite proud of the fact that I forced my pea averse brother to eat his veggies by offering no escape from a pureed sauce. This post is titled processed because I literally processed the peas to get my sauce but also it isn't processed in the sense that it did not come from a jar. Little victories in the battle with icky food preservatives, people.  Also, it was the first time I had cooked pasta (from a box sadly, I am 16, I do not have time to roll out fresh pasta) by myself, and judging by my success, it shall happen more often in the future. The time spent cooking was so much fun that i completely forgot to document the steps with pictures, but I have substituted it with a picture of the leftovers I had for lunch today. Along the whole no preservatives line, I continue to support my local Pressed Juicery. They make juices and such fresh and add absolutely no preservatives. I drank the leftover half of my vanilla almond milk this morning. Leftovers are so brilliant and so easy. It is like reliving a good meal, who doesn't want that? Anyway, I hope y'all decide to cook at home and to support the locals more often! 

No comments:

Post a Comment